October 13, 2020, Board Meeting
The Town of Luck has recreation aplenty! With trails of all flavors, numerous lakes, rivers, creeks, forests, farms, businesses and parks.
The Town of Luck has a multitude of trails for all activities, including the Gandydancer Trail, a former rail-line that is now crushed limestone and runs all the
way to Superior or St. Croix Falls, 98 miles through two states!
The Town of Luck has more to offer than almost any local municipal town:
From a State Park to numerous hiking trails, bike trails, lakes, snowmobile trails and outdoor options, the Town of Luck is a destination to remember.
POLK COUNTY, WISCONSIN
Regular Monthly Meeting Day: Second Tuesday, 7:30 p.m.
Location: Town Hall, 135 1st Ave., Luck, WI 54853
Phone: 715-419-2143 Chairman; 715-222-4487 Clerk
Please contact Board member to verify date & time.
Town of Luck
One of the premier hiking trails in Wisconsin traverses the Town of Luck, the Ice Age Trail meanders across the state, detouring through the spectacular Straight Lake State Park, Wisconsin’s newest state park! The 3,225 acres of woods, lakes and rivers, divided between the towns of Luck and Bone Lake, and was dedicated by Gov. Jim Doyle in 2005.
There is also the extremely scenic and rustic Chippewa Trail, which is a three-mile-long state Rustic Road, with winter snowmobiling and cross-country skiing.
Unique lodging, retreats and activities are also available across the Town of Luck, which is also known for its maple syrup production and other craft industries.
Many lakes exist in Polk County, some of which are quite important to the history of the county and are located in the Town of Luck. Earlier in time, there was a lake surrounded by a forest of pine, maple, birch, and butternut trees, known only to the Chippewa Indians. They knew the large lake as “ ic-o-nock-aknok," which is believed to mean “butternut” because of the abundance of butternut trees that grew in the area. For this reason, this territory was called Butternut before it was named Luck.
There are several legends concerning the naming of the Luck area. The most popular one being that if you were traveling by wagon on the Clam Falls Trail and you reached Butternut Lake by nightfall, you were considered to “be in luck!"
Danish immigrants organized the Town of Luck on Nov. 8th, 1869. The village of Luck was not incorporated until 1905.
The railroad came to Luck in 1901, which had its pros and cons. The railroad and a man, Mr. Lawson, who bought up most of the land adjacent to the railroad right-of-way, caused the formation of a new town with a new business area and new main street. This new town was called Lawson City for a brief time. Both the Village of Luck and the Village of Lawson City were incorporated in 1905, but now are the one Village of Luck, which is within the Town of Luck boundaries.
The Town of Luck actually has another village at least partially within its borders, the Village of Frederic. Two smaller hamlets of North Luck and West Denmark also exist in the Town of Luck. The town is also bordered by four other towns: Town of Laketown to the west, Town of Milltown to the south, Town of Bone Lake to the east, and Town of West Sweden to the north.
With over 48 miles of maintained roads, including approximately 36 miles of pavement and another dozen miles of gravel roads, the town is a shining example of rural qualities and variety, with numerous growth opportunities for success in business, forestry or agriculture, highlighted by an unmatched rural beauty with opportunities for recreation and affordable rural living that is hard to match.
Website designed by Inter-County Cooperative Publishing Association.
Copyright 2020. Town of Luck. All rights reserved.